How Tourism Supports The Economy Of A Country

Tourism is one of the most important industries in any country, and it has a lot of benefits for the economy as a whole. Not only does it bring in a lot of money, but it also helps to increase trade and commerce between different countries, contributes to job creation, and promotes cultural understanding and collaboration between people from different parts of the world.

What is Tourism?

Tourism is the travel of people to a place for pleasure, and tourism is one of the most important economic drivers in the world with an estimated $2.6 trillion impact on global economies in 2017. Tourism supports jobs in sectors such as accommodation, food and beverage, transportation, and recreation. In addition to supporting direct employment, tourism also stimulates indirect spending through the multiplier effect. The multiplier effect results from an increase in sales or income at local businesses that provide services to tourists. This increased spending then leads to additional job creation and business growth throughout the economy.

There are many different types of tourism, including international tourist arrivals (ITAs), which refers to all visitors who originate from outside of a country’s official borders. International tourism makes up a significant portion of total tourism worldwide, with 88 percent of all tourists coming from outside masada tours of their home country in 2016. Domestic tourism represents the remaining 12 percent of all tourist arrivals globally.

In terms of dollars spent, international tourists continue to be the main spenders when visiting destinations around the world. In 2016, international tourists accounted for $2.1 trillion in spending while domestic tourists accounted for only $581 billion globally. However, domestic tourism is growing faster than international tourism as more countries focus on developing their domestic tourist industries.

466,479 Tours France Stock Photos, Pictures & Royalty-Free Images - iStock  | Battle of tours france

There are several benefits that come with having a thriving tourism industry. First and foremost, it provides much-needed jobs across many sectors in each destination country. Employment opportunities associated with tourism support

How does Tourism Benefit a Country?

The tourism industry is a vital part of the global economy and provides many benefits to countries around the world. Tourism boosts the local economy by creating jobs in hotels, restaurants, transportation, and other tourist-related businesses. In addition, tourism also generates foreign currency that can be used to purchase goods and services outside of the country. Additionally, tourism helps to promote cultural heritage and attractions in a country, which can attract visitors from all over the world. Finally, tourism often encourages ecotourism and environmental conservation by exposing visitors to local cultures and natural resources.

Examples of Countries that are Benefiting from Tourism

Countries that are benefiting from tourism include: Cyprus, Greece, Mexico, and Thailand. Each of these countries has a unique tourist attraction that draws in visitors from all over the world. In Cyprus, for example, tourists can enjoy the beautiful beaches and rich history of the country. Greece is known for its dramatic coastal landscapes and ancient ruins. Mexico is well-known for its diverse cultural heritage and vibrant cities. And in Thailand, tourists can visit some of the most beautiful temples in Asia.

Each of these countries has also benefited from increased tourism spending by foreign visitors. For example, Cyprus saw an increase of 8% in 2016 due to increased spending by foreign tourists. This spending supported jobs in the tourism industry as well as other sectors of the economy. Greece also saw a rise in visitor spending due to an increase in Russian tourist arrivals (+15%). This influx of Russian tourists was likely attributed to Moscow’s new visa-free regime with many European countries. Mexican tourism also rose (+5%) during 2016 thanks to strong global demand for leisure travel and rising prices for commodities such as oil.

Overall, tourism supports many aspects of a country’s economy by providing jobs and income tax revenue; helping to drive up consumer demand; increasing exports; and supporting infrastructure projects such as airport construction or hotel development


Tourism is a major industry that supports many aspects of the economy in a country. It brings in money, jobs, and important revenue for businesses and governments. Tourism has been a major source of income for countries around the world for centuries, and it is still an extremely important sector today. By understanding how tourism works and how it contributes to the economy of a given country, policymakers can make smart decisions about how best to support this vital industry.